Staycations gained popularity during the economic recession in countries like the USA and Britain when people started vacationing at home to cut costs! A staycation may be a great idea provided you remember to:
1. Stay away from the evils- the computer, the mobile phone.
2. Don’t over schedule yourself. If a staycation also is an endless round of tours, trips to restaurants and things to do, the whole point is lost. Build a lot of free time to just chill, read, have a massage and listen to music.
SOME PICS OF CHENNAI ON A STORYTRAILS VISIT:
• Book into a day-spa and splurge on beauty treatments and massages!
• Take a heritage walk or local tours. For example in Chennai, Storytrails has great walking tours which discover hidden facets of the city.
• Catch up on your city’s cultural activities- concerts, dance performances, plays and the like.
• Catch a local match of cricket or football.
• Visit museums, planetariums or heritage buildings.
• Plan a ‘fun’ day with a trip to a water park or an amusement park with rides.
• Visit restaurants that you have not checked out so far.
• Take a daytrip to some new weekend destination or just have a simple picnic -you can just drive down.
• Get DVDs of your favourite movies, travel shows and plonk yourself on that comfy lounger!
• Raid the libraries, bookshops and catch up on your reading.
• Compile long playlists of music to listen to.
Go ahead and try it- a staycation may be just what the doctor ordered!